I have a love for thunderstorms and capturing a time-lapse with a GoPro is a fun hobby. The size and power of this natural phenomenon are fascinating. When summer rolls around I have my cameras, drones, video cameras on standby to try to capture unique views of these monsters. Recently there was a severe weather outbreak in my area so naturally, I was keeping an eye on the radars to see if I was going to get lucky.
As one thunderstorm cell popped up southwest of my location and grew as it approached. I set up my GoPro Hero 5 to create a time-lapse of it rolling in.
Here’s what I did –
- Put my GoPro Hero 5 Black on a tripod pointing it toward the direction I’d think the best view would be. I started recording about 20 minutes ahead of the storm’s arrival.
- I used the GoPro Time Lapse Video mode to capture it. This mode takes the time-lapse photos but creates the video for you.
- I find this mode is slightly better for shorter time lapses than the single photo every X seconds. The post-processing is significantly easier as stitching thousands of photos is very processor intensive on the Hi-Res photos to get a 4K quality video, especially for older computers (like mine).
- Video – 4K
- Interval – 1 second
- Field of View – Wide
- I hit record and let it run.
- Post processing I used Final Cut Pro and the music is from YouTube’s Audio Libray. I gently tweaked the exposure and the saturation a little but not much else.
The video was great but the storm was more than it could handle. Since the storm came in almost as a straight shot to the camera, the 50mph wind gusts were too much for my light tripod and blew the camera over. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the back-end of the storm moving out but it’s still a good video.
Binary Blogger has spent 20 years in the Information Security space currently providing security solutions and evangelism to clients. From early web application programming, system administration, senior management to enterprise consulting I provide practical security analysis and solutions to help companies and individuals figure out HOW to be secure every day.